Thursday, January 20, 2011

technology. and overall confusion slash coping.

so i have been placed into culture shock by MANY things since my touch down in paris.

if you recall, on of those things was AUP course registration. my next encounter was drop/add. (known everywhere ELSE as add/drop, in case there was confusion). today i went early to french class so i could drop napoleon. byyyyyyyyye. i went in. walked up the stairs of the "main building" and entered the registrar. there i filled out a PAPER form. checked "drop". wrote the course number. course name. my name. my id number. waited in LINE. not online, as in computer, but on line, as in i am a new yorker i say wait on line when i am standing IN a line. regardless. then i handed my paper to the ONE woman in the office. who pulled up my schedule on her ONE computer. and then dropped my course peoplesoft style and stamped my paper. i'll let that soak in a move on to culture shock part deux.

while i have played off that i dropped napoleon for credit-based reasons, which is largely true. i must also add that professor englund, from the states, declared that the american revolution was not a revolution. which is fine. he's a historian. he is entitled to his opinion. he can write a book on it. he can publish it. he can do whatever. that doesn't throw me. what made me realize i was lost was when he noted the battle of lexington and concord. or should i say conCHORD. no. that's where i draw the line. lexington is my home, the battle green is my neighbor, the people in bonnets came into my place of work. no. its concord. no e. like conquered. concord. NO. bye napoleon. by englund. bye.

wifi. wee-fee. wireless internet. the interwebs. whatevah. it lacks here. i'm dealing. it takes years to download my shows days after the US has watched them. #thisismylife. i'm coping.

music. baha. i am not even going to pretend i am hip or with it. i have been out of the loop for 2 weeks. i am no longer down with the 4-1-1. send me an email with some new tunes if you feel bad. haha. my ipod plays a playlist on repeat that abby made in the form of mix cd before i left the states. if P!NK has gone out of style i am f'd.

blackberry. it is a different relationship now. it is only relevant at certain hours in the day when the US is up and functioning. otherwise i use the internet on it cause that is usually faster than my current sitch. and while i am not glued to it as much here, if i lost it... i. would. die. so. yep i have physically grown a part from it, emotionally connected on a whole NEW level.

as i pull myself away from technology i can focus on french culture. i have spoken two phrases to carmen, my french mommy. one of which was repeat-after-me style where carmen said my sentence, then i said it. the other was butchered to say the least but made broken sense.

i have also embraced l'nap. as well as the prefix l'.... haha. so i nap often, and enjoy it thoroughly. as well as say l'everything when communicating with people at home. i think it makes me appear french by confusing them. overall a good plan while buying more time to learn french.

No comments:

Post a Comment